[G4] Re: Connect one monitor and two macs??

Sean Collins sean at hogheaven.com
Sun Dec 11 07:35:26 PST 2005

Do NOT buy the IOGear MiniView unit mentioned below.  It is not 100%
Mac compatible.

1) with keyboard & mouse plugged into the front-side USB ports, NONE
of the Mac special startup keys work.  eg, no cmd-S single user mode,
no Option key for startup drive select, no shift key for safe-boot
mode, etc.

2) with the keyboard & mouse plugged into the rear USB ports, the
special keys do work, but power-on and cmd-opt-esc do NOT work, and
remote computers can NOT be controlled.

In fact, do not get ANY unit that has on-screen display/switching
capability.  These use an internal ROM to detect special keys, and
are tailored to Windows, and reject Mac special keys.

I have had one of these units for a while now, and I need 2 keyboards
to get full Mac functionality.  IOGear blames it on Mac USB, which is
pure BS.  Everything works from USB, just depends on
front-side/back-side ports, but they ignore that fact.  They would
not refund my money either.

A USB KVM is going to be easier & cheaper to find, but you'll need to
add a USB card to your 6100.

Sean