[G4] Connect one monitor and two macs??

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Sun Dec 11 07:53:45 PST 2005

On Dec 11, 2005, at 6:18 AM, John Erdman wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2005, at 10:34 PM, Jason McClary wrote:
>
>> KVM stands for Keyboard, Video and Mouse switch. So a USB KVM is
>> one that uses USB connectors for the Keyboard and mouse as opposed
>> to PS/2 KVM. A USB Switch would be what you are thinking about.
>>
>> He said USB so that Jim would not accidentally get a KVM that uses
>> PS/2 connections for the Keyboard and mouse. For the longest time
>> finding a KVM that used USB over PS/2 was a pain.
>
> Good point about the PS/2 connector. Tho I oughtta let Daniel speak
> for himself, I suspect that he also was thinking that the 6100
> isn't likely to have a USB port. IIRC It uses the ADB connectors
> for the key board and mouse. So Jim needs something that the video
> cables plug into..  trouble is tho is that most of the switches
> I've seen for that are pretty pricey.

2 way KVMs go for $20 to $100 depending on features and how much
you're willing to overpay for a brand that makes you feel
comfortable. (Cough, Belkin, cough.) Jim can safely just ignore the
'K' and 'M' parts of the switch.

Roger's systems has 2 and 4 way VGA manual switch boxes for $8 and
$10 respectively, but by the time you add cables you're better off
getting an inexpensive KVM that comes with the cables built-in. Fry's
Electronics has them for $30 and they are regularly on sale for $20.
(http://www.outpost.com/, if you don't have a store near you.)

One thing that Jim needs to keep in mind is that he will also need an
Apple video to VGA adaptor if he doesn't already have one.

Phil
--
"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the
system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe, 101