[G4] help with 10.4

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Dec 13 20:55:59 PST 2005

On 13 December, 2005, at 3:45:03, Mark Swanson wrote:

> My TiBook is and has been working fine but my Quicksilver (two
> drives) is giving me a problem.  .......my 200 gig  went schizo and
> won't let me log in.
> .......The larger drive won't recognize my user password or my
> administrator password
> .......Is there a work around besides reformatting and re-installing?

Try booting the QuickSilver to your OS-X.4 DVD and use the "Change
Password" command to replace the old password with something else and
then re-boot.

I was able to enter a customer's eMac and recover all the user
identities and files by doing a password change from the OS install
disk. After confirming that no files had been lost, we recreated the
individual passwords back to the originals and all worked well after
that.