[G4] Updating my System and user software Questions

Sy sytech at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 06:27:11 PST 2005

I submitted the following post several weeks ago and
appreciate the feedback I got.

I've decided that I may be best off buying a new Mac
with OSX or at the very least, getting another
external drive and playing with OSX on that one.

My questions have to do with my software:

I use MS-Works 3 (about 15 years old) as a Database
and as a word processing tool.  It does the job quite
well for me but knowing that it won't run on OSX (and
not wanting to use it in Classic mode) was wondering
how I'd go about getting it "translated" into a format
that would run on OSX.  Does anyone know of any online
services which can do this or software I could buy? I
have the same question regarding my "Quicken '98"
software.

These are the 2 programs I use most and which are of
most importance to me.  The other stuff I assume can
be updated by getting more current versions over the
Internet.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

On 11/29/05, Sy <sytech at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a Mac G4  (400 mhz. running System 9.1) with
> AGP Graphics . I have 576 MB of RAM
>
> I've been looking for a list which addresses pre-OSX
> issues and I hope this is the one.
>
> The main reason I haven't upgraded to OSX is that I
am
> running old versions of Microsoft Works, Quicken
etc..
> and they work just fine on my system 9.1. The
browsers
> I use are Netscape Communicator 4.79 for email as
well
> as IE 5.1 and sometimes Mozilla 1.3.1. and they do
the