[G4] Router definition and Ethernet Broadband question

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 16 22:57:17 PST 2005

A hub will send the signal to all devices and let whatever (printer,
computer, etc.) device decide for itself to respond or not.  On a large
network there will be collisions and some data loss can result.

A Switch is exactly that - a switch and it will move to send a signal
down line A or line B according to the address requested.  There is no
more or less to it - that is all it does.

A Router will handle incoming signals from the internet and reject
anything inapropriately addressed.  Also hide all networks IP numbers
for devices from the internet side.  This is a Fire Wall.  It will also
control the network communications by sending signals to only the
addressed device or out onto the internet via the modem.  It basically
controls all the communication in and out of the network and eliminates
most or all  collisions of data.  Signals only go to the correct device
(and no other).

Routers have a huge advantage and the prices now are quite simular.

jj

On 13-Dec-05, at 11:31 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com