[G4] iMac G4 700 upgrade

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Dec 17 17:11:07 PST 2005

On 16 December, 2005, at 4:14:12, Russell wrote:

> I want upgrade an iMac 700 Mhz  with a 512 MB memory chip and a
> wireless card or adapter. Any suggestions as to what to use  for a
> Wireless card, I believe that they also can use an Airport Card.
>
> The Memory chip apparently has two types in it one 144 pin and the
> other 168 pin... Any suggestions for a chip 512 mb.

The freeware program MacTracker says that your machine has a 144 pin
socket that is user accessible and a 168 pin socket that has a
factory installed chip. It also says that your iMac is Airport
capable which means you could install an Apple wireless network card
without having to do any modifications or adapters, just insert the
Airport card in the slot and make sure you have Airport connectivity
installed and activated.

The problem today is that original Apple Airport card which you would
need is going for more than US $100 on eBay. You would have to enter
and win an eBay auction to get one of those older cards. The Airport
Extreme card will not work in your iMac.

I would suggest going to www.datamem.com for a price/availability
list of chips that will be good for your iMac. They provide 2 day
delivery service for a fee and guarantee their chips for life. I have
used them repeatedly and always get good service from them.

Today, their listing shows a 144 pin PC133 512Mb for US $98 and a 168
pin PC133 512 Mb for US $75. If you feel comfortable with opening
your iMac up to get to the factory slot, you could get a maximum of
1Gb RAM total.

Happy upgrading