[G4] Newcomer to G4 - query on hard disks

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Fri Dec 23 15:01:10 PST 2005

On Dec 23, 2005, at 9:17 AM, Ian Piper wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply James. I'm glad that it looks like what
> I want to do is achievable.
>
> Regarding the master/slave switch question, could you elaborate?
> The reason I ask is that back in the distant past when I last did
> this, it was necessary to have one device on an IDE channel as a
> master and the other as a slave, unless the devices and IDE cable
> allowed Cable Select.

This is correct. The potential for confusion comes from the fact that
older 40 wire cables were not consistent in implementing Cable
Select. 80 wire cables implement Cable Select by definition. All B&W
and newer Macs use 80 wire cables. (I've never supported older Macs
that use ATA drives so I don't know about them.)

Phil