[G4] Newcomer to G4 - query on hard disks

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Fri Dec 23 14:32:06 PST 2005

On Dec 23, 2005, at 9:08 AM, James Asherman wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2005, at 11:54 AM, Ian Piper wrote:
>
>>  If it were possible presumably I would have to set the DVD
>> jumpers to slave and the disk's jumpers to master
>
> No.

Correct. The short answer is that the terms master and slave are
misleading. Neither device on the cable is the master or slave, it's
better to think of them as device 0 and 1, and slower or faster.
Slower devices don't slow down faster devices, but since they take
longer to transfer information they tie up the shared communications
channel for longer periods of time. While the faster device is
talking it runs at normal speed.

Here is more than you probably want to know about hard drives:
<http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/>.

Phil