[G4] Newcomer to G4 - query on hard disks

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Dec 23 12:04:35 PST 2005

On Dec 23, 2005, at 8:54 AM, Ian Piper wrote:

I have just purchased a dual 450 MHz G4 (I think it is called a Gigabit
Ethernet model). I have a question about hard disk expansion and would
appreciate any advice you could offer.

The machine has a 30 GB disk, located in drive bay 3. From the manual
it seems that I can put two disks in this bay, and I can see the extra
IDE and power cables to allow this. However, the manual also says that
the G4 supports up to 3 internal drives. I can't see any IDE (or other
for that matter) connectors in the other two drive bays, so how do I
fit a third drive? Is it possible to put an internal hard drive in the
bay where the zip drive would normally go (there is a second IDE bus
with the DVD-ROM drive on it and a spare IDE connector)? If it were
possible presumably I would have to set the DVD jumpers to slave and
the disk's jumpers to master. I have a Mac Cube and I am pretty sure
that it has one IDE bus, holding the disk and DVD-ROM, so on the face
of it it should be possible. Has anyone done anything like this?

Brief background - I would like to use the existing drive as a boot
disk and add two RAID (mirrored) 120 GB disks to use the computer as a
file server for my network.

Ian,

I have done extensive additions to my G4 Gbit model and have found the
following information to be very helpful to install additional drives.

In the original configuration, you should have one drive located
closest to the rear panel of the chassis. That is the bay that is
nearest to the IDE ribbon coming from the motherboard. If you have the
multiple hard drive mounting sled (it is a two level bracket shaped
like a squared-off letter U with holes in the bottom and sides for
screws to hold two hard drives). You should also have an IDE ribbon
that has three connectors attached, one to go into the motherboard and
the other two to go into the hard drives. The marked wire of the ribbon
should go nearest the power socket of the drive ALWAYS!

The other two bays have flat mounting sleds and will allow you to
install additional drives up to a total of four if you have the double
drive sled already mounted with two drives. You will need to add a PCI
ATA IDE controller card to provide the needed IDE bus connections for
the third and fourth drives. Sonnet company makes a variety of models
and you should get the best one you can afford with two bus sockets and
the ribbons for the drives.

You will need to get a Y-splitter to give you the needed power
connection plugs for all the drives. Your machine already has one power
connection with two plugs on it which should be used with the double
drive sled and a second power connection which only has one plug. That
is where you will use the Y-splitter for the added power connections.

One problem that I encountered is the amount of power available from
the power supply. When I put in my fourth drive, I found that it
occasionally would not mount at startup. If I did a keyboard restart,
the drive would appear and I could continue working. However, this
caused me to worry about keeping the drive mounted while working, so I
removed the two 40Gb drives I had and replaced them with a single 120Gb
unit. I now have three drives installed in the chassis: one 80Gb (main
drive), one 60Gb (for file backups), and one 120Gb (for games).

I do not recommend removing the Zip drive. I have made too much use of
mine for transferring files to and from my office and home. I have no
experience with RAID assemblies, so have no comment to make on that.

My final configuration is:

G4 Gbit Ethernet model
1GHz upgraded processor from Sonnet
1.5Gb RAM
Pioneer DVR-110 DL-DVD/RW
250Mb Zip
120Gb Western Digital hard drive in bay 1 (bottom of bracket as Master)
80Gb Western Digital hard drive in bay 1 (top of bracket as Slave)
60GB Maxtor hard drive in bay 2 (center bracket as Master)
All drives have OS-10.4.2 currently so I can boot from each as needed
or desired.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of the expansion
capabilities of your Mac.

Have a safe holiday season.