[G4] Trying to insall Panther on a Yikes G4

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Tue Dec 27 16:42:16 PST 2005

On Dec 27, 2005, at 4:08 PM, James I Fraser wrote:

> More memory, and a larger hard drive too probably. My Yikes runs
> 10.4.3 happily with just 640MB.
>
> On Dec 27, 2005, at 11:03 AM, Darin Sheriff wrote:
>
>> I recently acquired a Yikes G4 with 256mb of system memory and a
>> 10gb hard drive. I am trying to install OS X Panther on it but I
>> get as far as a grey screen with the Apple logo on it. The monitor
>> then goes to sleep (and stays that way) and I have no idea what is
>> happening after this.
>>
>> The video card is an ATI Rage 128 with 16mb of memory and I
>> recently purchased the 256mb memory module from Microcenter that
>> the mac guys there recommended. What am I missing?

Darin didn't ask how to make his machine run better, he asked why his
current configuration isn't working. Your "advice" does nothing to
help him with his current problem.

Since the install didn't insist on new firmware I'll assume that
yours is new enough. Do you have other memory that you can try?
Otherwise you can start reading here: http://www.apple.com/support/
tiger/install/ or search Apple's support site for "gray screen".

Something else to try if you have another Mac is to move the 10GB
drive there, install to it, and then move the drive back to the Yikes.

Phil