[G4] Trying to insall Panther on a Yikes G4

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Dec 27 17:19:07 PST 2005

On 27 December, 2005, at 11:03:29, Darin Sheriff wrote:

> I recently acquired a Yikes G4 with 256mb of system memory and a
> 10gb hard drive.  I am trying to install OS X Panther on it but I
> get as far as a grey screen with the Apple logo on it.  The monitor
> then goes to sleep (and stays that way) and I have no idea what is
> happening after this.

First questions:
	Is the gray screen occurring while you are still in the act of
booting to the CD? Or, are you getting to the installation
instruction windows? How far, exactly, into the installation are you
getting? Have you gotten there more than twice?

The reason I ask this is because it has been quite a while since I
went through the initial OS-X installation and I cannot remember
where the gray screen that you describe comes in the installation
process and it would be nice to know that you can duplicate the
problem by attempting to install more than once and having the same
result.

Second questions:
	Do you have a "power conscious" monitor that you can change the
power down/sleep setting to not go to sleep at any time? Have you set
your energy saver controls to spin down the drive and shut down the
monitor?

Use the energy saver controls to set the timing to avoid the monitor
shutting down while the lengthy install process reaches completion.
You can always go back and reset your settings for power conservation
if you want.

Third questions:
	Are you trying to do an upgrade installation or a "erase and
install" installation?  Did you select the install CD as the startup
drive before trying to start the G4?

If you have just recently obtained the G4 and do not have critical
information on it, go for the erase and install option. It will give
you a virgin OS that you can play with all you want and not get any
complaints that you are trying to use old files on a new system.

Side note:
	Seriously consider upgrading your hard drive while doing the OS
upgrade. You don't have very much storage on that 10G drive and
should consider at least a 60G or 80G box if you can afford it. Also
increase your RAM, at least to 512Mb, to allow for the necessary
functions of the OS and programs you install after getting up and
running.

Good luck