[G4] USB Question

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Wed Dec 28 15:41:51 PST 2005

On Dec 28, 2005, at 12:32 PM, bigthor at webzone.net wrote:

> I'm purchasing a Sony VDR-VC20 DVDirect DVD Recorder. The manual
> states that it connects to a Mac via a Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0-
> compliant) interface.
>
> My question is, my Mac has USB 1.1, right? Will the Sony VRDVC20
> DVDirect DVD Recorder work with my Mac's USB 1.1, work slower, or
> not work at all?

I doubt that USB 1.1 would be able to keep up when trying to burn a
CD or DVD. Get a USB 2.0 card, they're cheap - $10-$50 depending on
name brand, etc. Make sure it's Mac compatible and/or returnable,
last thing I knew one common chipset was compatible and the other
wasn't. Don't know if that has changed with Tiger or not.

Phil