[G4] USB Question

bigthor at webzone.net bigthor at webzone.net
Thu Dec 29 13:15:59 PST 2005

Thanks, Ronald, for your solid answers.

When you say you use an external FireWire Box, is that combined with an
external hard drive or is it a separate box?  I am not familiar with
that product.  I guess my Fantom doesn't qualify?  From my profiler, my
Fantom external hard drive:

Max    6Y250P6:

   Capacity:	233.76 GB
   Manufacturer:	DMI
   Model:	Max    6Y250P6
   Removable Media:	No
   Detachable Drive:	Yes
   BSD Name:	disk1
   OS9 Drivers:	Yes
   Speed:	400 Mb/sec Speed
   Unit Spec Id:	24734
   Firmware Revision:	4.61
   Unit Software Version:	10483

Fantom:

   Capacity:	233.76 GB
   Available:	225.34 GB
   Writable:	Yes
   File System:	Journaled HFS+
   BSD Name:	disk1s9
   Mount Point:	/Volumes/Fantom

Yes, the Sony DVD burner is a standalone that can be used either with
VCRs or with the Mac.  Since over the years I have downloaded mpegs,
wmvs, movs etc. on my Mac, I would also like to be able to burn those
onto disc for viewing on my TV.  I experimented with creating an iMovie
and then used Toast to burn it to a CD for a test.  During the last
minute of the 6 minute video I created, there were compression errors,
i.e., white blocks popping across the middle of the screen, like screen
noise.  I definitely don't want that to happen when I copy my VHS and
Beta tapes.  That's why I'm buying a standalone DVD burner that will
connect directly to my VCRs.

I will look for MacTheRipper, thanks.  I won't worry about the DivX
format right now.  What I really want is to transfer my aging VHS and
Beta tapes to DVD format with as high a quality as possible and with no
compression errors, I hope (??).

Your answers have been very helpful.  I'm still unsure about the
external FireWire Box you mention to get the USB 2.0 function.

Thanks!
Don