[G4] USB Question

Joel Threatt jthreatt at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 29 13:56:59 PST 2005

On Dec 29, 2005, at 4:15 PM, bigthor at webzone.net wrote:

> Thanks, Ronald, for your solid answers.
>
> When you say you use an external FireWire Box, is that combined
> with an external hard drive or is it a separate box?  I am not
> familiar with that product.  I guess my Fantom doesn't qualify?
> From my profiler, my Fantom external hard drive:
>
> Max    6Y250P6:
>
>   Capacity:	233.76 GB
>   Manufacturer:	DMI
>   Model:	Max    6Y250P6
>   Removable Media:	No
>   Detachable Drive:	Yes
>   BSD Name:	disk1
>   OS9 Drivers:	Yes
>   Speed:	400 Mb/sec Speed
>   Unit Spec Id:	24734
>   Firmware Revision:	4.61
>   Unit Software Version:	10483
>
> Fantom:
>
>   Capacity:	233.76 GB
>   Available:	225.34 GB
>   Writable:	Yes
>   File System:	Journaled HFS+
>   BSD Name:	disk1s9
>   Mount Point:	/Volumes/Fantom
>
> Yes, the Sony DVD burner is a standalone that can be used either
> with VCRs or with the Mac.  Since over the years I have downloaded
> mpegs, wmvs, movs etc. on my Mac, I would also like to be able to
> burn those onto disc for viewing on my TV.  I experimented with
> creating an iMovie and then used Toast to burn it to a CD for a
> test.  During the last minute of the 6 minute video I created,
> there were compression errors, i.e., white blocks popping across
> the middle of the screen, like screen noise.  I definitely don't
> want that to happen when I copy my VHS and Beta tapes.  That's why
> I'm buying a standalone DVD burner that will connect directly to my
> VCRs.
>
> I will look for MacTheRipper, thanks.  I won't worry about the DivX
> format right now.  What I really want is to transfer my aging VHS
> and Beta tapes to DVD format with as high a quality as possible and
> with no compression errors, I hope (??).
>
> Your answers have been very helpful.  I'm still unsure about the
> external FireWire Box you mention to get the USB 2.0 function.
>
> Thanks!
> Don

Hi, Just a question,

Why would yo want to go with USB 2.0 when you have two built in
firewire ports.  I have a samsung external firewire burner connected
to my quicksilver and it fairly screams along. A firewire enclosure
can be had for around 50 bucks at wal mart and less on Ebay. About
the same as the USB 2.0 card without the problems.

Joel