[G4] Power Supply Problem

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Mon Feb 7 15:48:50 PST 2005

At 5:17 PM -0500 2/7/05, Joel Threatt wrote:
> After the little spinner on the grey screen came up, a dark background
> descended then a picture of the power button popped up with a message
> in a half languages that said I need to reboot my system and told me
> either to hold the power button for several seconds of hit the reset
> button.

This is a kernel panic, also known as a System Crash. It appears to
have been caused by the RAM chips. Have you tried any different RAM
chips and had the same problems?

If you test the board with different RAM chips and the problem
persists, then you have a board problem. If the problem cannot be
repeated with the different chips, then it points toward the RAM chips
as being the problem.

Either way, you narrow the selection of causes and are closer to a
solution to the problem.