[G4] backing up suggestions

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Feb 8 18:10:29 PST 2005

On 8 Feb, 2005, at 13:21, Kevin Willis wrote:

I selected the partition of the hard drive that os OS X installed on
it.  It does a scan of the partition and displays the number of
folders, size, etc.  Then it asks if I want to make it a bootable OS X
back up.  I reply yes, then I select the 40 GB hard drive as the
destination.   The   options available are "back up set" "synchronize
set" or "compare set".  I choose back upset and it runs for a while,
then it stops and says the destination is full.

The one thing that I didn't see was that you reformatted or initialized
the drive before you started your back-up. I try to remember to do that
each time, that way I always have a clean drive without any previous
data on it for my copy.

By the way, I have more than one back-up drive, so I am always keeping
the two latest copies on hand, and I try to remember to make the
back-up every other week. Sometimes I forget and it's the middle of the
week before I remember that I was supposed to do it that week, not next
week.