[G4] Cloning G4 to G5: Naming Hard Drives

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sat Feb 19 13:54:35 PST 2005

On Saturday, February 19, 2005, at 04:20  PM, John Miller wrote:

> James:  Yes, system install is what I should have said....not restore.
>
> I've had several suggestions to just use the Setup Assistant that
> comes with OSX (Applications/Utilities).  The G5 I bought was actually
> setup once already, as the person I bought it from (a graphics
> designer) loaded a graphics package, then decided to sell it.  It's
> essentially brand new, but does have a User set up with:  username =
> admin; and password = admin.  I'll trigger Setup Assistant once again
> and see if that works.  Would be a lot easier than my original
> approach.
>
> If that does not work, then I'll probably follow the 10 steps I
> outlined.  Thanks for your ideas, guys.

Getting rid of a former user is hard. Down deep one of my machines is
still called "Larry's computer".

Here is one of my crazy approaches.
  Take out the boot drive from your 867. Mount it in the new machine.
Start up and make sure you're ok
select your old disc as startup. restart.
format boot disc that came with new machine.
use CCC to clone your old drive.
  Remove old drive (first select new one as startup.)
Now upgrade OS with new install discs.
Maybe you can do all of this in firewire target mode (eliminate the
screwdriver work) I don't  know.
  Jim