[G4] NeverWinter Nights crashing w/OS10.3.7?

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Jan 4 15:46:21 PST 2005

On 4 Jan, 2005, at 12:31, Jonathan I. Nori wrote:

Was the first hard drive upgraded from OS9, or does it have a clean
install of OSX on it?

What is the file system being used on the first drive? On the second
drive?

Perhaps there is something having to do with differing file
systems...perhaps some games that run under OSX need a certain file
system to run.

Jonathan,

The first drive was upgraded from OS 9 way back when OS 10.1 came out,
and then was upgraded by increments as the upgrades became available.
Each upgrade was done in series and permissions were repaired after
each upgrade. All cron programs were also run prior and subsequent to
each upgrade. I don't believe that there was any problem with the OS
installations because of my care and concern taken during the upgrade
procedures.

All my hard drives are formatted in HFS+ format with journaling
disabled. The game is running on a 60Gb Maxtor without any problems.
The problem drive is a Maxtor 40Gb unit, but it has many third party
software programs such as MightyMouse, FruitMenu, ShapeShifter, etc,
installed on it.

I am thinking that the problem occurred after the last update of
ShapeShifter, but am not sure because I didn't play NWN for almost a
week after doing that update. I also installed a couple of new programs
during that same time period, so they might have had some influence on
the drive also.

I have considered doing an "Archive and Install" to try that as a fix,
but I am happy with the performance of the first drive except for the
problem with NWN. All my productivity programs are running without
problems on that drive. Now that I have installed NWN on the backup
drive, I can simply boot to it when I feel like playing.