[G4] novice questions for external drive

Philip J Robar philip.robar at myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 13 14:04:26 PST 2005

On Jan 13, 2005, at 1:07 AM, hec wrote:

> i have a 867 dp mdd using os 10.3.7 and just got a maxtor 120gb
> external drive. ...
> do i need to format the drive first?

Most likely yes, as most external drives come formated for Windows.

> if so, what is the best method? disk utility does not seem to have
> that function.

Disk Utility does have this functionality.

1) Open Disk Utility.
2) Select the topmost entry for your drive in the left-hand column.
3) Click on the Partition tab and divvy up your drive as you choose.
4) Click on the Partition button in the lower right-hand corner.

> a little while ago members of the list were discussing difficulties of
> cloning
> the existing os onto another drive and have that drive boot up.

Carbon Clone Copier (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) turns
this into a trivial task.

> after the formatting and getting the os on and working what is the
> best way to
> transfer my files, applications etc (about 14gb)?

Unfortunately Apple's Migration tool only comes with new Macs. So if
you don't clone your drive you'll have to manually move (or reinstall)
your data and apps.

Phil