[G4] Mac mini monitors and other questions

Joe Sporleder joe at beloit-kansas.com
Fri Jan 21 05:31:52 PST 2005

I'm thinking of getting a Mac mini as my main home computer, to
supplement my iBook that I currently use (actually, it is getting ready
to go back to Apple under AppleCare for that infamous screen problem
that has plagued the last of the G3 iBooks).

I love my 17" Apple Studio Display LCD on my G4 Tower at work, and was
wondering if their are any DVI capable LCDs that y'all like that are in
a similar price range or less than Apple's $699 (US$) price of their
17" LCD? I'm also thinking of replacing a couple of our older B&W G3s
and G4's at our small publishing company with Mac minis, that do not
need a ton of extra memory and expansion beyond what the Mac mini is
capable of. Although the 20" Cinema from Apple is nice (and now $999),
that's probably overkill on budget for most of my workstations. I'll
probably get the 20" when I buy my next G5 tower, but right now I'm
looking for the best bang for the buck LCD screens in the $500 price
range, give or take a few dollars. Any third party monitor companies I
should stay away from as far as quality and or service?

Also, what are your thoughts on using a Mac mini as a simple server? I
realize that is not its intended market, and that its hard drive is a
laptop sized 2.5" and runs at a slower 4200 rpm. I'm considering an
additional Mac mini down the road running MacOS X Server, for light
email and web serving. What's folks thoughts on that? In my case, it'd
only have to be fast enough to keep up with a 512kbps at the most pipe
to the Internet. The main concern in my mind is a heat problem over
long periods of time, considering all the stuff packed into that small
space.

Joe