[G4] Help! I can't get Panther OSX to network with OS 9.2.2

Alex Hurst corkflor at iol.ie
Thu Jul 7 11:45:03 PDT 2005

Hi all you helpful G4 folks. I'm certainly in need of assistance.

I picked up the G4/400 last week in the UK, and it's now happily
functioning stand-alone under Panther OSX in Ireland.

BUT

  I cannot persuade it to recognise a beige G3 and a Firewire G3
Powerbook operating on Mac OS 9.2..2.

The two G3 machines are happily communicating with each other with
Appletalk active and the TCP/IP option turned on.

The G3s (via a Netgear 8 port Ethernet hub and Cat 5 patch cabling)
are also recognising the presence of the G4. But when I try to access
the G4 from either G3, I get an error message which says something
like 'this server connection has been unexpectedly interrupted' All
three cables appear fine, with green lights showing on the hub.

The G4, OTOH, won't recognise the presence of the G3s at all, even
with Appletalk turned on on all three Macs.

I've faithfully followed the account set-up  and network set-up
instructions in David Pogue's manual on OSX Panther, but all I get in
terms of network on the G4 is the local G4 disk.The G4 confirms that
Ethernet is active and that Appletalk is turned on. Selecting TCP/IP
as an option makes no difference in either direction.

My suspicion is that I'm doing something very basic wrong on the G4,,
as OSX is very new to me..

Can somebody out there walk me through Ethernet network set-up in OSX
when the other two Macs are running (and communicating) perfectly
under OS9?

Many TIA

Alex
--
Alex Hurst
Waterfall

Tel: +353 214 543 328 (H)
        +353 214 270 907 (W)

Fax: +353 214 271 248
email: corkflor at iol.ie
Also: corkflor.2 at virgin.net (when in the UK, which isn't often)
Home website: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/
Business website: http://www.corkflorists.com/

Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) public key available at:
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371
ID: 0x5BB72019