[G4] G4 refuses to recognize printer and scanner

Anthony Kluck weho90069 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 12 09:31:41 PDT 2005

Well, folks, here's an update on my
G4-not-communicating-with-the-scanner-and-printer situation: it seems
like it all might boil down to an issue with my USB hub rather than a
software issue with the G4 and peripherals. However, the issue with the
hub seems transient, and I'm not sure what that means.

Over a week ago my cursor froze while I was in Mail (the first freeze
I've had in OS X, btw), and suddenly my keyboard and mouse were
inactive (they are usually plugged into my monitor's USB sockets. In
troubleshooting, I plugged the keyboard/mouse into the USB hub which
reactivated them (which at least told me it wasn't the keyboard/mouse
that were at fault). After some optimizing and restarts and wondering,
"what NOW?" I found the USB ports in the monitor worked once again. But
it was around that same time that the printer and scanner stopped being
recognized.

Just out of curiosity I plugged the printer into the second USB port on
the monitor and the scanner into the left USB socket on the keyboard
and now the G4 recognizes them. Hrrmph! And I thought I'd been thorough
in eliminating the USB hub as a factor in the equation. I guess not.

Of course, in the interim I had re-downloaded and re-installed the
applicable software for both peripherals (yet again...<SIGH>), so
there's no telling whether that had an additional positive effect on
the outcome.

Fact is, though, that communication is restored between the G4 and
peripherals, which is a HUGE relief. Now I'm wondering if the USB hub
is the issue or the USB port in the G4 (a situation I have yet to
determine). I guess I'm very fortunate that I have enough ports
(between those on the monitor and the keyboard) to run all my
peripherals for the time being.

Thanks to all of you who responded and offered your experience. I must
admit I'm a trifle embarrassed I didn't catch the problem before
posting my inquiry, but as I said, the problem with the USB hub seems
to be transient. For all I know in a few days it may work again
<shrug>...

Cheers,
Anthony