[G4] G4 refuses to recognize printer and scanner

keithw keith_w at dslextreme.com
Tue Jul 12 09:55:03 PDT 2005

Anthony Kluck wrote:
> Well, folks, here's an update on my
> G4-not-communicating-with-the-scanner-and-printer situation: it seems
> like it all might boil down to an issue with my USB hub rather than a
> software issue with the G4 and peripherals. However, the issue with the
> hub seems transient, and I'm not sure what that means.
>
> Over a week ago my cursor froze while I was in Mail (the first freeze
> I've had in OS X, btw), and suddenly my keyboard and mouse were inactive
> (they are usually plugged into my monitor's USB sockets. In
> troubleshooting, I plugged the keyboard/mouse into the USB hub which
> reactivated them (which at least told me it wasn't the keyboard/mouse
> that were at fault). After some optimizing and restarts and wondering,
> "what NOW?" I found the USB ports in the monitor worked once again. But
> it was around that same time that the printer and scanner stopped being
> recognized.

I'll just insert a couple of comments here.
I have found that when you have more than two USB devices, it's a good
idea if you use a powered USB hub.
You don't mention whether your hub is merely a multiple port feed from
an existing USB port, or it's powered with it's own AC transformer.
I solved a number of mysterious USB problems by going to a powered hub.

keith whaley