[G4] av software -> ClamXav

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Tue Jul 19 14:52:08 PDT 2005

Depends on how "safe" you really want to be.  I still like to run av applications.

I got sick and tired of Norton AV a few weeks ago when I switched my wife's home directory over to a new iMac G5 (her Cube was freezing up altogether too frequently) and Norton would not accept the registration information and wanted new subscription money all over again.  So, I found ClamXav through Versiontracker.com, and installed it, and within minutes it found and quarantined a handful of viruses in my e-mail archives that Norton never found because they infected PCs and not Macs.  And, best of all, it is free (or donation-ware via PayPal, and I feel guilty, because I want to donate something, but I do not trust PayPal as they are hacking targets).

By the way, I also switched to Avast!, another free (for personal use) av application, on my PC when Norton again wanted a renewal of my subscription for $29.95.  Avast! comes out of the Czech Republic.  Once again, it found several startup Trojans that Norton had never found!

Bottom line: ClamXav for Macs and Avast! for PCs.

--Steve