[G4] av software

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Tue Jul 19 14:59:34 PDT 2005

On Jul 19, 2005, at 5:27 PM, dapper dan wrote:

> ive heard lots of different info on mac and virus protection.do i need
> it?if so,what is the best? dont want to spend any extra money i dont
> need but i love this computer and want to keep it running well.

As for Norton Antivirus in the OS X environment, there has been little
value in running it on personal, home oriented Macs because there is
nothing for it to report to you as being threatening or malicious.  It
may, however, alert you to the possibility that you receive an e-mail
attachment that could damage a non-Mac PC if you happened to pass it
along to a PC user.  However, being a good samaritan for this purpose
is kind of useless.  That PC user has much more to worry about than the
off chance of getting bad stuff from you.  Also, if you receive
Microsoft Word files which contain macros, there is the threat of
viruses there.  Some folks, especially in critical, mission oriented
businesses, like to run Antivirus or Virex just in case some virus,
worm, or other malware suddenly appears unannounced some dark night in
the future.  Because managing anti-virus software and their routine
reports objecting to purely benign behavior of the Mac OS is something
of a pain in the face of non-existant threat, I just do not bother.
Macworld magazine ran a nice set of articles on Macintosh security in
the March 2005 issue; this material should now be available at their
web site.  The overall title was:  "Mac Security: Fact and Fiction."

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.