[G4] safari questions

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Fri Jul 22 12:38:45 PDT 2005

At 9:09 AM +1000 7/22/05, Tony Johansen wrote:
>I would put Internet Explorer at the bottom of any list, the only
>explanation for it's continued use seems to be habit.

The OLNY reason that I use Explorer is that some ill-conceived sites still work only with Explorer.  So few that I forget them at the moment, but I keep it around for that reason only.  Even on my PeeCee, I use Firefox almost exclusively except when sites like Microsloth Update require Explorer.

BTW, I cannot pay bills from my checking account at one of my banks with Safari.  I have to use Firefox for that.  Supposedly, it is something in the Java that lets me enter only one character at a time and then dismiss an error message before entering the next character, etc.  And, the bank admits that they are not compatible with Safari for on-line bill paying.

>A question: does anyone know if the latest Safari works with 10.3.9 and if I

No.  At least not in my experience.  I found this out when I transferred my wife's USR account from her Cube to a new iMac G5 running Tiger (10.4).  The iMac had come with Panther (10.3)  I could not get several applications, including the latest Tiger version of Safari, to work until I upgraded the system to Tiger.

>can down load it easily? I won't go to 'Tiger' yet, but would like the RSS
>of the new Safari.

You can't have it all, but in my estimation, Tiger does have it all.  I am using Spotlight more and more, and I am amazed at the stuff that it is finding on my drive.  And, I also get a lot of mileage from a handful of favorite widgets in Dashboard: Rabbit Radio, Package Tracker, TV Tracker, Dictionary, several weather widgets, etc.

--Steve