[G4] software question for mac

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu Jun 2 00:33:42 PDT 2005

On 1 Jun, 2005, at 23:07, Loren Smedberg wrote:

as a new mac user i am curious as to whether there are separate copies
of software made for mac and pcs?

Actually there are dual format commercial programs sometimes available.
I purchased the first version of Adobe Photoshop Elements (2002) it
states right on the front of the box Windows/Macintosh & everythings on
one CD

However.......

If you check the latest box for Photoshop elements v3.0, you will see
that each operating system has its own packaging and the software is
not interchangeable between systems.

As for the future, why should we expect program developers to cater to
two separate and different systems as they used to do in the normal
course of business? I do not believe that there is as much demand for
hybrid software programming any more. It is not in the developer's
interest to invest large sums in a small market unless they are
dedicated to that market.

Which is one of the reasons why MicroSoft is no longer developing
Internet Explorer for the Mac. The browser market for the Mac was too
small to make their investment show the profit they wanted. MS and its
shareholders like to see "profit" on their ledgers, not "loss".