[G4] Sleep vs Shutdown

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Mon Jun 6 11:29:47 PDT 2005

I'm top posting because everyone else did, heh, heh.

Anyway, the original posted asked about shut down and restart 5-10
times a day.  No way is that good.  In OS-9 doing it nightly was a sane
and safe practice.

In OS X, hard drive sleep is just fine each night.  I would not do it
5-10 times a day.

As for UPS, yes, use one.  I have one for each computer.  But when
lightning gets real close, I shut down and unplug everything.  If I'm
gone for a week or so.  I do the same.  UPS and computers may not
survive a hit on the house, nor one a few feet away.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.