[G4] Sleep vs Shutdown

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Mon Jun 6 11:41:04 PDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 14:10, Snow White wrote:

> My personal experience is opposite what you have said. [...]

This is not an issue of personal experience.

"With equipment that is Energy Star compliant and in areas where there
are no issues with the quality or dependability of power, you may want
to consider turning off equipment if it is going to be idle for eight
hours or more. For idle periods of less than eight hours, use Energy
Saver software to optimize energy usage."

Note that, although there has been some change in wording, Apple has
been making the same recommendation for over a decade: if you're not
going to use the Mac in the next 8 hours, turn it off; otherwise, leave
it on (naturally, this doesn't apply to servers).

This has nothing to do with restarting the OS, but with the
significance of the stress caused by the initial power surge in the
electronics, spinning up drives, etc. Some argue that, like consumer
electronics, Macs are designed to be turned off and on at will. I find
their arguments defective. I think it's best to follow Apple's
suggestion.

Whether or not you turn your Mac off, you should have adequate surge
protection, especially if you're in an area prone to power grid
problems. Note that "adequate" means protecting not only the power
line, but also the phone line and/or network line.

In terms of OS, Mac OS X is neither more nor less "designed to be
always on" than Mac OS 9 and earlier. The difference is in each OSs
architecture. The former is much more robust; but that doesn't mean it
can't benefit from being restarted once in a while.

<0x0192>