[G4] Has hell frozen over?

Dennis B. Swaney romad at nvwisp.com
Tue Jun 7 06:56:31 PDT 2005

At 7:46 AM -0400 6/7/05, Tim Collier wrote:

>Next OS is going to be Leopard....I wonder if they're going to try
>to start selling this OS to present Windows users?  Is this going to
>be the beginning for Mac OS software vs. Windows?  I think so.
>Damn, I wish I owned some Apple stock...but alas.
>I can only say that I am happy with Apple's decision (although when
>I first heard about it, I was not) and I'm looking forward to buying
>my first Intel based Mac.

Why wait for a Mac with the mandatory warning label? As soon as an
Intel compliant version of Tiger is released, just get a Wintel box,
wipe the hard drive and install that version of Tiger. Since the
first Macintel boxes are being released in 06 and Leopard is slated
for 07, that means that one of the updates (10.4.5?) will be the
version installed on it. Of course, if you want to use Leopard,
you'll have to get an Intel machine from somewhere. I didn't see
anything about releasing both PPC & Intel versions of Leopard; they
were concentrating on application compatability.

This decision also means that Apple's whole PPC/RISC vs Intel/CISC
argument is now a deadend. Perhaps Intel is going to release a
special premium-priced chip just for Macintoshes, that is totally
different from the Pentium line. Hmm, maybe AMD will come out with a
competing chip.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney

"Windows is a command-line OS with a GUI shell while Mac System 10 is
... oh, never mind."