[G4] Has hell frozen over?

Anthony Kluck weho90069 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 7 07:04:22 PDT 2005

I took the time to watch the keynote address all the way through. Okay,
I half "watched" it -- the other half I listened to while I made myself
supper.

 From what I got out of this speech, there's nothing much to worry about
(if everything goes according to plan), since the software many of us
are using today in OS X will work seamlessly on newer machines (with
the aid of a nifty piece of background software called Rosetta that we
won't even know is working). Jobs proved this point by running his
entire presentation on an Intel-based Mac and called up a number of
programs to prove they would work Just Fine (all the regular Apple
stuff (Mail, Safari, blah blah blah..., plus Word, Excel, and
Photoshop).

It's simply up to Developers now to get on the ball and tweak their
apps so they'll be usable on the next wave of Intel-based Macs (as well
as on existing machines).

I suppose the notion of "buying all new software" in a couple years is
a matter of how you look at things. If you buy an Intel-based Mac when
they come out, your existing software may work on it, but won't you
eventually want to upgrade to the software versions that work best on
your newer machine and offer you the latest features? (Note I said
"upgrade", not "buy new".)

Heck, in two years you may well want to upgrade from the versions you
are running now anyway, for any number of reasons -- never mind the
whole Intel-based Mac issue.