[G4] Has hell frozen over?

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Mon Jun 6 21:46:17 PDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 7:13 PM, Matthew Wensley wrote:

> Thoughts on software support as we move to a new processor?

     Not a problem. Both processors will be fully supported for many
years into the future.

> Personally, I can't see buying new "iron" between now and '07.
> Making a purchase now, then having to buy all new software in a
> couple of years does not make a lot of sense to me.

You won't have to buy any new software unless it is to become Leopard
compatible. Processor will not matter due to Universal Binary
development scheme covering both families for decades ahead.

> Just how long will developers produce software for the current iron?

For the foreseeable future decades into the future.

<http://stream.apple.akadns.net/> provides all the details of why
this is going to be totally smooth transition with few bumps in the
road and very little PPC Mac hardware left behind.

Please accept my apology for appearing snitty b4. That was not my
intention. Steve was so comprehensive and clear, and I have watched
the keynote 4-5 times now, that I was aghast that your perception of
the situation was so confused and full of such misunderstanding.