[G4] Disk drives

Ernest Vincent Pons-Worley eponsworley at mac.com
Wed Jun 8 13:54:24 PDT 2005

I'm thinking that this used to be true in the pre-gigabyte days when
the heads actually rested on the disk.  Once the disk spun to speed the
heads would fly over the surface, but while the disk was spinning up or
spinning down they would drag on the surface (which was lubricated to
reduce wear).  The number of start/stop cycles figures into the disk
drive MTBF equation.  However, now that drives use dynamic head loading
(heads loaded after disk is spinning) there is no longer head to disk
contact and start/stops are less of a concern than they once were.  I'm
only talking about the mechanics, not the electronics of the drive.