[G4] Re: trashing system preferences "Again"

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Fri Jun 10 03:31:40 PDT 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 20:54, Mark Laurint wrote:

> I have no Idea what I did to make the extra copies of the
> international panel

Well, that's not good. Because one thing is certain, it didn't just
happen by itself.

> besides trying to delete the file from
> /OSX/share/emacs/21.1/lisp/international, in Finder.
>  This is when I get the root file warning. I don't have a emac!

You probably mean "/usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/international" (see

for details on pathnames in Mac OS X.)

Emacs (or EMACS) has nothing whatever to do with eMacs or Macs in
general.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs>

Until you know exactly what you're doing, it's best to leave invisible
directories and files strictly alone.

> I'd like to get rid of (trash) the 5 copies and leave one on the
> system preference panel.

Not knowing what you did to get there makes it difficult to provide a
useful suggestion. Try this.

(1) Check the following locations

/System/Library/PreferencePanes
/Library/PreferencePanes
~/Library/PreferencePanes

There should be only one Localization.prefpane item, and it should be
in /System/Library/PreferencePanes. If there are any other copies of
this item in the other two locations, trash them.

(2) Use a tool such as OnyX to clear your caches.

(3) Restart.

> OS9 was sooo much easier!

Maybe it was, or maybe it wasn't; but it was certainly a different
operating system. If you want to be productive in Mac OS X, forget
about Mac OS 9. Get a good book, read it from cover to cover, and
you'll discover how much more powerful Mac OS X is.

A point of trivia: Don't say "OS9". OS/9 or OS9 was a completely
different operating system from Mac OS 9.

<0x0192>