[G4] 10.4 + G4 500 AGP + ATI Radeon 8500 + Pioneer DVR-109 = No DVD movies play...

Gregory Cortelyou chefgreg at mac.com
Sun Jun 12 08:53:30 PDT 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 11:39 PM, Gregory Cortelyou wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2005, at 9:19 AM, Daniel Brieck Jr. wrote:
>
>> Does anyone else have this problem with DVD movies not playing
>> properly with the Apple DVD player?
>>
>> I have a G4 500 AGP Sawtooth system, a pioneer DVR-109, ATI
>> Radeon  8500 and Mac os 10.4.1 with the Apple DVD player update as
>> well. I can't play DVD with this set up, they appear garbled and
>> scrambled like a bad satellite TV reception.  Does any one here
>> have this problem, too?
>>
>> I have check apple discussion board and it is noted there, seems
>> to be a issue with the ATI Radeon 8500 Graphics card.
>>
>> Daniel J. Brieck Jr.
>
> Yes, I have the same problem on my Sawtooth with the same Pioneer
> DVR, the same Radeon 8500, and same software updates. I am not sure
> if it worked before the 10.4.1 and the DVD player update. But I am
> sure it worked in 10.3.9. There are others with the problem, I was
> reading some on the Apple/Tiger forum. Hopefully there will be a
> fix. I can't afford a new video card right now.
>
> Greg

Hey, What's up? I wrote this last week, Tuesday I think and it just
showed on the list now. Anyway, I still have the problem. Not earth
shattering but not good either. Someone said to put the original card
back in and DVD player might work. I don't really want to do that. Do
you suppose ATI will put out an update so those of us with the Radeon
8500 can go back to watching DVDs on our computers? OK, going OT: I
don't want my picture to show up on my emails anymore from my .mac
address. I have tried everything I know but it still shows, anyone
know how to stop it? Sorry for the topic hijack.

Greg