[G4] New hard drive question

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Tue Jun 21 21:52:26 PDT 2005

Greetings ( + )!( + )

On Jun 21, 2005, at 8:28 PM, rich northouse wrote:

> I found out that the largest drive I could see on my G4 Quicksilver
> OSX.3.9 was a 120 gig.  I added a PCI Sonnet card and I could than see
> the entire 180 gigs. Plus it appears to be quicker on the Sonnet card.
>  But adding a STAT card and STAT drive seems the way to go if your are
> adding a drive.
>

> rich
>

> On Jun 21, 2005, at 7:30 PM, Kunga wrote:
>
>> All MDD's see big drives on the 100 bus. Both should be on the 100
>> bus save more than two.

>> On Jun 21, 2005, at 2:57 PM, Al Poulin wrote:
>>
>>> In either case, a question is whether your MDD will see all 200 GB
>>> without a new PCI controller card.

Most SATA drives have Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology
(SMART) which makes them the most desirable drive not on the market.
For more information about Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting
Technology (SMART) see;
http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/perf/qual/
featuresSMART.html
Storage Review.