[G4] How do I connect a Powermac G4 400 DVD to a beige Powermac G3?

Alex Hurst corkflor at iol.ie
Thu Jun 23 07:08:49 PDT 2005

Thanks to those of you who've responded so comprehensively. Ron in
particular wrote:

>Can any of you knowledgeable people out there tell me what the best
>solution is for a fast and reliable temporary link between these two
>machines, given the G3 is serial and SCSI based, while the G4 is USB?
>
>All of the machines you listed have a built-in ethernet socket, so
>you have a readily accessible solution on hand that won't cost you
>an arm and a leg.
>
>Do you have access to an ethernet hub? If you do, simply activate
>file sharing between the machines you want to transfer data from/to
>and plug in the Cat 5 cables. Be sure to use straight "patch" cables
>and not "crossover" cables for this connection. Make sure to create
>the proper identities and sharing abilities for all machines to each
>other, ie: Mac 1 and Mac 2 and "read/write" privileges active .

I've looked at hubs and they seem very reasonably priced, so I'll
probably get one.

My browsing of the Macintouch site seems to reveal quite a few
problems with Ethernet connections, but one brand that is highly
recommended for plug-and-play appears to be the Netgear brand.

I'm looking at a Netgear  FS605 five port switch (for which I'll
presumably need at least three Cat 5 cables as I have three Macs to
link). Anyone got any experience of Netgear kit, or for that matter
any other brand which is simple and reliable to set up and use?

BTW, I'm slightly confused on Cat 5 and crossover cables. Apple
recommends a crossover cable when linking two Macs directly together.
I assume that this doesn't apply when using a hub?

Sorry to bang on at length, but you'll already have gathered this is
somewhat uncharted territory for me.

Best

Alex
--
Alex Hurst
Waterfall

Tel: +353 214 543 328 (H)
        +353 214 270 907 (W)

Fax: +353 214 271 248
email: corkflor at iol.ie
Also: corkflor.2 at virgin.net (when in the UK, which isn't often)
Home website: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/
Business website: http://www.corkflorists.com/

Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) public key available at:
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371
ID: 0x5BB72019