[G4] How do I connect a Powermac G4 400 DVD to a beige Powermac G3?

Tony Gamble tgamble180 at rogers.com
Thu Jun 23 07:26:01 PDT 2005

On 23-Jun-05, at 10:08 AM, Alex Hurst wrote:

> BTW, I'm slightly confused on Cat 5 and crossover cables. Apple
> recommends a crossover cable when linking two Macs directly
> together. I assume that this doesn't apply when using a hub?

Yes, crossover cables are the standard when linking two machines
directly for communication.  Some of the newer Macs, however, have a
"smart" ethernet port that automatically configures itself
appropriately regardless of the cable used.  My G4/MDD falls into
this category; I was able to network it directly to a Umax S900 w/G3,
and later to an iMac 233 with just a straight Cat 5.  I had a bunch
of PCI ethernet cards kicking around from working on PC's, so I tried
a few and discovered one that had a recognized chipset!  So I popped
that in the G4 to provide access to my highspeed provider.  Now both
machines have access to the 'Net through Appletalk & Web Sharing.

Tony