[G4] Telephony headsets

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Sun Jun 26 09:12:01 PDT 2005

Greetings (*^_^*)

On Jun 26, 2005, at 8:46 AM, david wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am just about to set up a VOIP system for the first time and I have
> been looking around at headsets. I don't really want to use up my last
> USB port so I have been looking at headsets with normal mic and
> speaker plugs. The descriptions of these say that they are compatible
> with Macs fitted with sound cards and the plugs look just like the
> ones my speakers and appletalk mic use. I presume that means that I
> have the required sound card. Sorry to be so dim but I would be
> grateful if someone could confirm it for me. Thank you.
>
> I am using a G4 400 Mhz dual processor.
>
> Although I cannot ascertain whether or not it is a VOIP program, I am
> intending using iVisit as it does everything I need and can handle the
> cross platform situation I will be working in. If anyone has
> experience of any other similar software or has any advice or warnings
> to impart regarding internet telephony and Macs, I would be very
> grateful.
>
> Although I have never submitted a query to the list before, in passing
> I would like to thank all those who have. The list has been a constant
> source of information and of occasional amusement for many years.
>
> Thank you for reading this. All contributions gratefully received.
>
> David

I assume that you know that iVisit is not a dial-up Voice Over Internet
Processing (VOIP) it is a point-to-point dedicated service. In other
words the person that you want to talk to has to have their PC turn-on
and the iVisit application active. If your wanting to have a VOIP
service which allows you to dial a telephone, cellphone or anything on
the public network then perhaps you should look into Skype, or Vonage.

 B e s t   R e g a r d s ,

 H a r r y   ( * ^ _ ^ * )