[G4] Sawtooth, 9-X heap big trouble!!

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Sat Mar 5 12:11:09 PST 2005

In your multiple reformattings, I assume you tried doing it from the OS
X install CD, using the option to install OS 9 drivers, and maybe
journaling.  Even so, after the TechTool experience, I would do it
again.

After that, memory is the first suspect.  OS X, and 10.3 in particular,
is fussy about RAM that does not meet specs.  The original 64 is not
enough by itself to install X.  The other three sticks may not meet
standards.  I suggest you tell us everything you know and can learn
about them, brand, where you bought them.  You may have to buy a new
256 or 512 from a reputable vendor to go with the original 64.  Check
the web sites for Crucial, maker of most RAM that Apple installs, and
also OWC (Other World Computing).

On Mar 4, 2005, at 11:11 PM, marshagrant at lycos.com wrote:

> Hello, new to list...I have a Sawtooth, with the 350 processor given
> to me because it won't install up to OSX.
>
> I was confident I could do this, but I am running into major troubles!
> What I have attempted thus far:
>
> -firmware updates, tells me it doesn't apply to this machine
> -hardware updates, tells me it doesn't apply to this machine
> -pulled the SCSI card
> -came with RAM 64 (original), 128, and 2x256. I removed the 64 and
> 128. Today I am going to take out the 256 cards and try it with the
> sole 128 card.
> -tried the original X install and the newer 10.3.5 install.
> -have attempted multiple reformatting of the drive. Recently used
> TechTool Pro to wipe the drive and reinitialize it. I chose binary
> 0000000, and am not sure this was the best thing to do. The drive is
> now partitioned into an 8 gig and 2 gig system, with the 8 gig as the
> first drive. I was going to put 9 on one and X  on the other, but
> neither will accept the install. In the past I was able to get farther
> into the install process, all the way up to loading the system files.
> Is even worse now!  It hangs on the opening blue screen with the
> apple.
> -zapped the PRAM.
> -replaced the battery and reset the PMU.
>
> It always successfully reinstalls 9, up to 9.2.2.
>
> Any other suggestions would be more than appreciated. I also went
> through the archives of this list serve to see if there were any
> solutions before posting, but I really couldn't find any successes.
>
> tia, Marsha
Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.