[G4] Question about HD Storage

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Wed Mar 9 16:09:10 PST 2005

	I have been turning my kids VHS tapes to DVD recently.  I capture
using Alchemy TV, then I import them to iMovie HD where I add the
chapter markers and use iDVD to encode and burn them.  It used to take
over 2 hours to import the file to iMovie.  Recently, I created a RAID
using 2 40 GB ATA drives and installed Panther on it.  Today I captured
my first movie on it and imported it to iMovie.  The importing only
took about 20 minutes to import this time.

	Could faster importation be because I am using a RAID, or is it
because I am using a clean hard drive?  Before, I would do 1 movie then
delete it then do another movie etc.  Does rewriting over the same
drive cause a slow down over time?

Thanks

Kevin