[G4] Question about HD Storage

Mel Krewall mkrewall at mac.com
Wed Mar 9 19:31:05 PST 2005

It is the RAID that is helping your speed. Generally, Apple's HFS is a
pretty efficient file system and will not slow down unless the files
are _extremely_ fragmented. In addition, Panther added a "hot files"
capability that has the operating system write the most frequently used
portions of code to a part of the disk that is the fastest to access,
which improves OS responsiveness. If you defragment the disk, these
files would be possibly be moved, which would defeat the purpose. You
should consider getting a really big disk with a large cache (e.g.
8MB). As you have probably discovered, video really eats disk space,
and if you are constantly battling a full disk, it will slow things
down some.
A faster processor would certainly improve your conversion rate as
well, because DV is heavily processor dependent.
Hope this helps,
Mel

"Golf can best be defined as an endless series of tragedies obscured by
the occasional miracle."
~Anonymous