[G4] Re: Help with Staying Shut Down

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Wed Mar 30 18:55:27 PST 2005

On 30 Mar, 2005, at 17:07, Richard M. Kriss wrote:

The problem may have something to do with USB ports. I have too much
crap
attached.  I had to add a Belkin 5 port USB/PCI card and use the ports
for

- HP Photosmart printer
- A USB/Serial adapter  (for interfacing a Terminal Node Controller
(TNC)
- An iMic (to send RTTY and PSK signals to a Kenwood TS-570 Ham Radio)
- A Flash card reader or Floppy Drive

The two primary G4 ports:
- Apple LCD Display
- MS Wireless Mouse

Like I said too much crap hanging on USB ports.

Sorry about this, but I have two (2) external powered USB hubs {one is
also a FireWire hub} attached to my G4 Gbit Ethernet and have had no
problems with the following ALL plugged in at once:
1-Macally iKey keyboard with Kensington TurboTrackball
2-External Pioneer CD/DVD burner
3-External Imation SuperDisk Drive
4-Belkin external floppy drive
5-Epson CX6400 All-In-One printer
6-External 60G Hard Drive

All these are USB except for the CD/DVD burner which is a combo box and
can go USB or FW but I usually use it in USB.

I also use two USB extensions for flash memory sticks or external 20G
hard drives, so I might have as many as 7 USB devices plugged in at the
same time. As long as I make sure that the power adapters for the hubs
are turned on and working, I have no problems. It's when I forget to
turn on the power strip with the adapters that I get recognition
problems.

I am wondering if your problem couldn't possibly be coming from the
Belkin 5-Port card. It might not be getting enough power from the G4 to
run all the devices that you have plugged into it.

I would try using a powered USB hub as a test to see if the problem can
be reproduced with a powered hub. If the problem persists, then look
elsewhere.