[G4] Re: Help with Staying Shut Down

Richard M. Kriss rmkriss at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 30 17:07:29 PST 2005

> Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 01:11:47 -0800
> From: Ron Steinke <ronsteinke at mac.com>
>

> It is possible that you have activated the "Start up after power
> outage" option. Check the Energy Saver preference settings for the
> Options and Other Options settings.
>
> HTH

Ron, I double checked after reading your note and it is NOT checked.

Dick

-------------------
> From: David <whelp at earthlink.net>
>
> Have you tried immediately turning off your monitor after you go to
> Shut down? I have a whole lab of G4s with Viewsonic monitors that
> all Restart even if you go to Shut down -if the monitor is still on.
>
> Dave Whelpley

I use the Apple 15 inch LCD display and I really don't think it is the
problem.

-----------------

> From: Ron <gmedia.dv at verizon.net>

> When mine did this it was a USB hub or device.
>
> Ron--

Ron, you are on the right track.  If I remove the USB Compact Flash Card
reader the G4 shuts down and stayed down last night.

The problem may have something to do with USB ports. I have too much crap
attached.  I had to add a Belkin 5 port USB/PCI card and use the ports for

- HP Photosmart printer
- A USB/Serial adapter  (for interfacing a Terminal Node Controller (TNC)
- An iMic (to send RTTY and PSK signals to a Kenwood TS-570 Ham Radio)
- A Flash card reader or Floppy Drive

The two primary G4 ports:
- Apple LCD Display
- MS Wireless Mouse

Like I said too much crap hanging on USB ports.