[G4] Airport connection problem

Samuel D. Bays bays.samuel at verizon.net
Tue May 3 21:36:00 PDT 2005

After accepting a Verizon DSL upgrade to 1500/384 in Boston last month, the
quality of my DSL service fell off markedly from what I had enjoyed with
750/XXX for several years. Click search on anything in Google and Safari
stalls for 5 to 45 seconds, then eventually downloads rapidly.  Speed tests
at DSL Reports are great, once they start, but it¹s the ³starting² that¹s
unremittingly problematic.

Verizon Tech Support suggested my previous router ‹ a MacSense XRouter Pro
MIH 130 ‹ was the culprit, asserting that it was too old to handle the ³more
powerful² signal of 1500 down. So I bought a Belkin Wireless G Router
yesterday, connected up my G4, my son¹s Dell Dimension 4100 running WinXP
and then tied in my new PowerBook 15-inch so that my wife access the
internet, too.

That was yesterday, when everything worked fine. Last night I ran Software
Update on the PowerBook and downloaded wirelessly about seven software
updates from the Apple server. Then, I shut down.

Today, everyone wanted to get onto the internet at the same time, but the
PowerBook would not connect. The Airport Extreme icon showed a little box
instead of the radio waves icon, and three hours of fiddling with
configurations and searching the internet from my G4 for advice has got me
nowhere.

I suppose with last night¹s software upgrades I wiped out some configuration
data that enables the Airport Extreme card to ³find² the Belkin Router and
establish the internet connection. But I¹m at my wits end, and the pertinent
pages in the PowerBook documentation leave me feeling like I missed the
introductory networking course and have stumbled into a discussion of the
second semester material.

This is very different from my experience in Anaheim last month: while I was
searching through my room for the missing ethernet cable to connect via the
Marriott¹s internet service, my PowerBook automatically found the wireless
signal from the Hilton across the street!

Isn¹t that the way my home network connection is supposed to work? It did
last night.

--
Sam Bays