[G4] Re: (G4) OS X (10.3.9) ...the bouncing Safari icon (Cross Posting)

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed May 4 17:53:10 PDT 2005

On 05/03/05, Richard ramsowr <r.ramsowr at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> At long last I was able to download 10.3.9 ...but was
> unable to use Safari after the download and reboot
> ...all I was able to get was a bouncing Safari icon on
> my dock. I corrected by rebooting Safari (1.2)
>
> The first time I tried to download 10.3.9, the new
> Safari booted and then locked up when i tried to open
> my link to my DSL service (SBC Yahoo)
>
> Currently my Mac showing that I'm  running OS X
> (10.3.9), Safari 1.2. and Jave 1.4.2
>
> Before downloading I performed a reviewed and repaired
> my preferences and all was fine. Also checked on Jave
> as directed by Apple using the "Terminal"  method and
> Jave checked out OK.
>
> Because I plan to remain on "Panther" for a while
> longer (well into next year) i would love to use the
> "new" safari which i'm told comes with 10.3.9
>
> HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HAD A BOUNCING SAFARI  ICON ISSUE
> AND WHAT WAS YOUR SOLUTION AND MORE IMPORTANTLY WHAT
> WAS THE PROBLEM THAT CAUSED THE BOUNCING SAFARI ICON?

Nope, but here's what I'd try. Boot with the Panther install CD #1, select
Utilities->Disk Utility, and repair disk. If your disk passes, reboot into
the G4. If not, fix whatever's broken. When fixed, launch Software Update
and ensure you're not missing anything; if anything comes up, install it.
When finished, restart, launch Disk Utility again, and repair permissions.
Finally, move the ~/Users/your account/Library/com.apple.safari.plist file
to the desktop and reinstall the 10.3.9 COMBO updater. Restart, repair
permissions again, and finally try Safari 1.3. I never encountered that
problem while beta-testing Safari 1.3 and the 10.3.9 update.