[G4] G4 OS10.3.9 and G5 with OS 10.4

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Thu May 5 17:02:36 PDT 2005

I've just ordered a new G5 that will come already loaded with Tiger.  I
will be setting it up in a home office about an hour from here while my
trusty G4 with Panther will stay here. I'll  have full back ups for
both computers plus photos and music files in an external drive that I
can carry back and forth. These are just hobby computers so my
livelihood doesn't require  complete synchronizations and rigorous
backups.
, but I probably will want to sync a few things occasionally such as
address books, mail files, and bookmarks.

I tried Retrospect once and wasn't impressed with the slowness. I gave
up after several hours of what seemed to be fruitless churning.

I've never had to deal with this before. Any suggestions for simple
synch software? Synch strategies? Any reading suggestions? I'll be
using both computers. So the files will have different content that
will need to be merged rather than just accepting the file with the
latest modification date. And oh yes, I don't have a .mac account and
one computer is dial up, the other is cable DSL.

Thanks for any suggestions.
John
Peaks Island, Maine