[G4] Retrospect Backup (was G4 OS10.3.9 and G5 with OS 10.4)

Mel Krewall mkrewall at mac.com
Thu May 5 18:21:07 PDT 2005

I agree that Retrospect is probably the backup software of choice
right now. The speed of backup in Retrospect is directly related to
the number of files. It has nothing to do with Carbon/Cocoa. Since
Mac programs have done away with resource forks and now store all
that data in application bundles, plus the fact that Unix uses tiny
text files for every sort of configuration, a given installation of
Mac OS X has about three to five times the number of files that an
equivalent OS 9 installation would have had. Thus it takes longer to
scan and copy in Retrospect.
<rant>OTOH, I'm not sure that I agree that the purchase of Dantz by
EMC2 was such a good thing. Development of Retrospect Mac has not
progressed in a couple of years. Retrospect for Windows has more
functionality and is two major revs ahead of the Mac version with no
apparent plans to bring them to parity. I had to pay to upgrade to
get OS X compatibility without a single new feature. In fact, it has
not changed materially in about three years except for doing away
with Express, so everyone has to pay $50 to $100 more to do what you
did before. Telephone tech support that used to be free is now non-
existent. If you want tech support you have to buy a maintenance plan
that is in no way economical for a home network. I have used
Retrospect and its successors for ten years now, and it has saved my
system several times, but I'm hoping someone Mac centric comes along
to displace them. Impression looks like it could get there, but it's
not yet. The company that makes Impression was very responsive to my
questions before I even bought the software and has a development
roadmap that is active. Competition is a good thing, and the Mac
backup market has not had any for a very long time.
</rant>
Mel

"May thy ball lie in green pastures - and not in still waters."
~Author Unknown