[G4] Files on external HD corrupted by Panther

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Fri May 20 20:08:50 PDT 2005

On May 20, 2005, at 20:32, Anthony Kluck wrote:

> I just upgraded my G4's OS from 9.2.2 to 10.3.9 and have an external
> Fantom 80 Gig hard disc where I back up and store a lot of my junk;
> it's connected to the G4 via Firewire. A bad thing has happened:
> somewhere during the installation or thereafter, Panther seems to have
> corrupted quite a few of my files [...]

You may have been bitten by Panther's Firewire bug, although your
symptoms are not quite typical (and I think it affected earlier
versions). Check out reports of this problem -- e.g., here

<http://www.macintouch.com/panfirewire.html>

and see if they fit. If not, post more details (which version of
Panther did you install, was the drive connected during installation,
etc.).

<0x0192>