[G4] Can I remove Norton Auto-Protect from System Preferences window?

Anthony Kluck weho90069 at earthlink.net
Tue May 24 20:09:58 PDT 2005

Hi again,

New problem with OS X 10.3.9...

Loaded Norton Anti-Virus v.9 for OSX and decided to remove it because
the Mac began to crash. I scoured the hard disc for all Symantec files,
did finds for "Sym" and purged what seemed to be Symantec related, etc.
This is because there is no UnInstaller on the Norton disc
(unfortunately). I thought I got it all, but now see that when I open
the System Preferences window, under "Other", there sits Norton
Auto-Protect. I tried purging anything to do with "auto-protect" and
similar to no avail.

Anyone know how to remove stuff like this once and for all from the
System Preferences window? And are there any other places on the hard
drive where insidious Symantec files may still be lurking?

Thanks so much in advance for the help.
Anth.

PS: Possibly unrelated, to day I woke up and turned on the Mac to find
that my Internet configurations were gone and the computer refused to
identify the modem. After Repairing Permissions, restarting with Safe
Boot and going through the Setup process all over again I am back
online, but that sure was weird (and a trifle disturbing)...